Friday 24 September 2010

English Learning Tip - Intonation Rules? - tip

Hi everyone,

Many English language students ask me 'What are the rules of intonation?'

and my answer is always that there are NO rules.

So how can you effectively improve this area of your English?

Because this is the tip section of my blog I have a solution for you. :-)

Follow the basic rules below which will help you make your English sound more natural. These rules CAN be broken sometimes, thats why I said NO rules before but you need to start somewhere in getting your English sounding natural.

Enjoy the video

Here are your actions.

  1. Choose a paragraph of writing - 5 or 10 sentences in length.
  2. Read the paragraph out loud.
    • At the end of every sentence your voice should go down.
    • If you are reading a question your voice should go up.
  3. Practice your paragraph a minimum of 10 ten times.
  4. Record yourself reading the paragraph.
  5. Listen to your recording.
  6. If you haven't followed the basic rules in step 2 then repeat.

Make sure you watch the video so you can hear examples of the actions.

I hope you found this tip helpful - let me know how you get on by leaving a comment in the box below this post.

Pass on English learning by liking this post on your Facebook or posting the link on your Twitter page.

Thanks

Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powerpoint Presentations - Great video tips here

About Me

My photo
Hi everyone, Some of you are probably asking who I am, so here goes: As you already know I am a father and husband. My beautiful daughter is just over a year old and seems to be changing rapidly every day (it’s a real joy to watch). I have been married to my wonderful wife for over seven years now and every day is better than the last. I worked in the theatre industry in London for about twelve years before coming to Korea at the management level. I have now been in the English communication industry for about eight years working as a teacher, trainer and recruiter. I really enjoy helping people increase their English skills and hope that this blog will achieve that. In this blog you will find English expressions, tips and resources. I will also post things of interest to myself which I think you will also find interesting. Where possible I will give you actions in posts to help you with your English. Posts will vary from time to time but I will try to be consistent. Anyway enough about me, I hope that you all enjoy the blog. Thanks Liam