Friday 26 March 2010

How to Speak English on the Telephone Part 2 of 2


Here is my second article on 'How to speak English on the telephone'. In this article I will talk about the correct use of formal English.

Many people who speak English as a second language often have to deal with business colleagues in other countries. This can cause you to be nervous and make mistakes. By following the tips in this article you will be able to overcome many of these problems.

Some basic rules for you to use;

1. Take a deep breath before answering the phone (this will relax you).
2. Listen carefully to the caller.
3. If you need to ask the caller to slowdown do so (this is not a bad thing).
4. Repeat the information back to the caller.

Now I will show you how to use some basic expressions during your conversation.

Formal or Informal?

When talking on the telephone in the business world you should always be formal, by being formal you will always be correct. To be formal you should use words such as COULD, CAN, MAY and WOULD. Here are some example sentences for you:

1. Could I speak to John please?
2. Can/May I take a message?
3. Would next Tuesday be OK?

Please and Thank you

Try to always use the two expressions PLEASE and THANK YOU. This way you will always be polite in your telephone conversations. It also shows respect for the person you are talking to.

Help and Clarification

Getting help and clarification on the telephone is not a bad thing; actually clarification in a business conversation is essential. Here are some examples for you:

1. Could you repeat that please?
2. Could you speak a little more slowly please?
3. Would you mind spelling that for me please?

Here are some ACTIONS for you:

1. Get together with a friend or colleague and practice the language from this article.
2. Then call your friend or colleague on a telephone and practice again.
3. Record the call (ask permission first).
4. Repeat.

Be sure to check the first article if you haven't already, the advice in both articles should be used together to help you progress effectively.

Have fun
Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powerpoint Presentations - Great video tips here

About Me

My photo
Hi everyone, Some of you are probably asking who I am, so here goes: As you already know I am a father and husband. My beautiful daughter is just over a year old and seems to be changing rapidly every day (it’s a real joy to watch). I have been married to my wonderful wife for over seven years now and every day is better than the last. I worked in the theatre industry in London for about twelve years before coming to Korea at the management level. I have now been in the English communication industry for about eight years working as a teacher, trainer and recruiter. I really enjoy helping people increase their English skills and hope that this blog will achieve that. In this blog you will find English expressions, tips and resources. I will also post things of interest to myself which I think you will also find interesting. Where possible I will give you actions in posts to help you with your English. Posts will vary from time to time but I will try to be consistent. Anyway enough about me, I hope that you all enjoy the blog. Thanks Liam