Thursday 25 March 2010

How to Learn English by Reading


I have lost count of the amount of times students who are studying English have asked me 'How do I improve my reading skill?'

I believe that I have a really good way to help you improve your reading skill and it's very simple to do. If you use this method you will improve your vocabulary, understanding and reading skills.

This is what you need to do.

Book Choice

Choosing the right book is very important, if you choose the wrong book your English ability will not improve and you will have wasted your time.

1. Choose a book for a 12 or 14 year old (this will be of intermediate level).
2. Don't choose an adult book it will be too hard.
3. Choose a book that you're interested in.
4. I would suggest a fantasy book - they are more descriptive.

Once you have chosen a good book you have to use it correctly so you can improve your English ability.

Method

Make sure that you follow the method otherwise it won't work.

1. Have a highlighter pen available.
2. Have an English - English dictionary available.
3. Read for a maximum of 15 minutes per day - no more.
4. Highlight any words or phrases that you don't understand.
5. Try to work the meaning out using the surrounding sentence.
6. Then check in your dictionary.
7. If you have an English teacher you could also ask them.

Don't make the mistake of reading more than suggested, if you do you will begin to dislike the task and you won't improve.

Here are some actions for you.

1. Buy a book for your level.
2. Follow the method above.

I hope you found this tip helpful, if you did please leave some comments and feedback.

Happy reading.

Thanks
Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powerpoint Presentations - Great video tips here

About Me

My photo
Hi everyone, Some of you are probably asking who I am, so here goes: As you already know I am a father and husband. My beautiful daughter is just over a year old and seems to be changing rapidly every day (it’s a real joy to watch). I have been married to my wonderful wife for over seven years now and every day is better than the last. I worked in the theatre industry in London for about twelve years before coming to Korea at the management level. I have now been in the English communication industry for about eight years working as a teacher, trainer and recruiter. I really enjoy helping people increase their English skills and hope that this blog will achieve that. In this blog you will find English expressions, tips and resources. I will also post things of interest to myself which I think you will also find interesting. Where possible I will give you actions in posts to help you with your English. Posts will vary from time to time but I will try to be consistent. Anyway enough about me, I hope that you all enjoy the blog. Thanks Liam